2008年4月6日星期日

Kimchi Kimchi

Being enlightened by a Korean friend, I attempted to make my own Kimchi. It actually tastes pretty good!

Ingredients:
1 big Chinese Cabbage
Korean Red Chilli powder
Sea Salt (about 100g for 1 large cabbage)
Rice Vinegar
Fish Sauce (I used Japanese one. That's what I have at home.)
Sugar
Optional: Garlic and Spring Onion (my husband is allergic to garlic, so I didn't put any in.)

1. Chop the cabbage. Rub salt into the leaves and leave it for about 5 or 6 hours. Moisture will be drawn out from the cabbage by the salt. (if you like softer texture, leave it overnight).
2. Rinse the cabbage if you think it's too salty, or else just drain the salty fluid.
3. Mix in other ingredients, press it down to squeeze out air trip in between the layers of leaves. Leave it for a day.

It can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, but it's nice to enjoy 'instant' Kimchi as well. 'Instant' Kimchi is still crunchy, less slimmy and has a fresh taste to it.



1 則留言:

Unknown 說...

Seems nice!! But I'd better get some from the Japanese Beef Rice Shop in Whampoa...